City of Sydney seeks water recycling masterplan
10 Aug 10 by desalination
The City of Sydney is seeking tenders to develop a decentralised water masterplan to produce more 10 % of the Australian city’s water supply from local sources.
Utilising a city-wide non-potable/recycled water network, the plan would also cut pollutants discharged into Sydney Harbour and Cooks river by around 50%.
The tender, which also calls for a total water cycle management plan, closes on September 7. It will explore different business models to implement the master plan, including a private-sector water-services company or a public/private joint venture.
The inner city currently imports 32 million m³ of drinking-standard water from Warragamba Dam, but only 20% is used for cooking, drinking and washing. The remaining 80% could be supplemented by recycled water for toilet flushing (19%), air-conditioning cooling towers (15%) and irrigation (3%).
Australian cities will face a growing demand for water over the coming decades as the population increases and the weather becomes hotter due to climate change, according to a new report by the Water Services Association of Australia. By 2026 major cities will face a 39% increase in water demand or 600 million m³/year.
Tender documentation is available from: Amy Wong, Tendering Clerk
Tel: +61 2 9246 7516
Fax: +61 2 9265 9697
Login on register to comment
A world leader committed to preserving resources through desalination and reuse
The Group designs
Leading expert delivers online masterclass on membrane fouling
There is only one week left to register for this exciting new format of online event and deepen your understanding of membrane fouling in only one hour.
Singapore International Water Week Turns 10 Years: Celebrating a Decade of Accomplishment in the Global Water Industry
The Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) is the world's premier platform to connect the water industry for innovative solutions and sustainable urban water management. The biennial event gathers stakeholders from the global water industry to share best practices
Related supplier content
Xylem reuse system to up potable water supply in Los Angeles
Water technology company
Sterlitech offers new ultrafiltration membranes
Laboratory products and membrane testing firm Sterlitech is offering Synder Filtration's recently developed ultrafiltration membranes
Osmoflo reports concentrate reduction success
Australian desalination company Osmoflo has reported success with site tests of its concentrate reduction technology for reverse osmosis (RO) plants. The firm said its Brine Squeezer system increased recovery from 80% to 95% in a mine wastewater recovery pilot.