GdF Suez wins Abu Dhabi power and water deal

GdF Suez has signed a 25-year power and water purchase agreement with Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company for the Mirfa independent water and power project which includes a new 136,380 m3/d seawater reverse osmosis desalination plant.

GdF Suez will hold a 20% equity interest in the project with the remaining 80 percent to be held by Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA).

The project will be built at a capital cost of US$1.5 billion and include the acquisition of existing power facilities and three existing 34,095 m3/d multi-stage flash distillation units, as well as the addition of 1,100 MW of new power production capacity and the new desalination facility.

Degrémont will carry out the engineering, procurement and construction work for the desalination portion of the plant, with commercial operation expected to begin in 2016.