Water in Mining 2019 unveils full speaker line-up
18 Dec 18 by desalination
Water in Mining 2019 has unveiled its full conference programme packed with debate, knowledge sharing, networking, case studies, round tables and panel discussions on the latest in water management for mining companies.
The conference early bird rate was announced with a deadline of 18 January 2019 for those wishing to take advantage of the discounted rate.
Water in Mining: Efficiency, Reuse, Water Management Strategies & Technologies will be hosted on 9 to 10 April 2019, in Toronto, Canada.
The full programme provides up-to-the minute insight and intelligence on best practices and strategies in water management for the world’s top mining companies. The conference is the world’s only event that brings together water executives from the top 50 mining companies globally to network and debate the future of water in mining.
The line-up covers the best and latest thinking in water stewardship practices, including water security and water risk in mining, innovations in technology that can reduce water consumption and save costs, strategies for community engagement and leadership in multi-stakeholder contexts, and specific water challenges in mining such as water reuse, acid waters, and tailings ponds.
Day 1 is themed under the topics Water Security & Sustainability, Community Engagement and Desalination. Day 2 will spotlight Water Use Minimisation & Efficiency.
The line-up of topics and speakers includes:
Day 1: Water Security & Sustainability
* Water Security and Climate Change: Creating a Sustainable Water Strategy, with Dr Hubert Fleming, global head of water at Anglo America
* Catalyzing Water Security in the Mining Sector: What is the State of Play?, with Christina Copeland, senior manager, water, CDP
* Understanding the Risks and Opportunities Behind Mining and Water Risk, with Alexis Morgan, global water stewardship lead, World Wildlife Foundation
Day 1: Community Engagement
* Water Stewardship as a Competitive Advantage: Identifying the Most Ideal Sustainable Water Management Strategies, with Briana Gunn, director of environmental affairs and sustainability and external relations, Newmont Mining
* Addressing Social Water Issues: A Water Working Group Perspective for Mining in Peru, with Cesar Fonseca, head of Latin America, 2030 Water Resources Group (hosted by the World Bank), IFC
ROUNDTABLE SESSIONS: working with communities, mine closures, cost savings with water reuse, dry stack tailings management systems, freshwater versus other sources.
Day 1: Desalination
PANEL DISCUSSION: Analysing Key Developments and the Future of Desalination
Day 2: Water Use Minimisation & Efficiency
* Creating a Water Management Program in Order to Achieve Production & Water Efficiency Targets Simultaneously, with Seth Mueller, senior development engineer, environment, Boliden Group
* Innovative Ways to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Water in Water-Scarce Regions, with José N. De Pierola Canales, water resources manager, Southern Peru Copper Corp.
* Reducing Freshwater Consumption and Improving Water Management, with Bruno Ferraz, environment management, Vale
* Optimising Sustainable Outcomes and Mineral Resource Value by Setting Region Specific Water Targets, with Blair Douglas, global practice lead, hydrology, BHP Billiton
PANEL DISCUSSION: Quantifying and Qualifying the Intrinsic Value of Water
* Controlling Calcium Sulphate Scale Formation in Acid Mine Waters with Membranes, with Steve Chesters, managing director, Genesys International Limited
* Predicting, Mitigating and Creating Standards for Preventing Acid Rock Drainage, with Jacob Croall, senior manager, water technology, Newmont Mining
* Managing Ammonia in Mining Effluents, with Kristin Pouw, principal consultant, water management, SRK Consulting
For the full conference programme listings please visit Water in Mining 2019.
The conference early bird rate is available now until 18 January 2019, saving $100 off the ticket prices. For more information and to register, please visit the Water in Mining 2019 registration page.
Login on register to comment
Pumping, piping & storage
HGM-RO high-pressure pump from KSB
The HGM-RO high-pressure pump in ring-section design stands for maximum levels of efficiency - an innovative pump design for minimum life cycle costs.
Pumping, piping & storage
MemLine Plastic Flexible Coupling
Memline Plastic Grooved-End Flexible Pipe Couplings has pressure Rating of 100psi and 250psi
Instruments & controls
Uniglide-e, Modern Design to Maximise Efficiency & Optimise Maintenance Savings
Related supplier content
ANDRITZ Concrete Volute Pumps
ANDRITZ vertical volute pumps with either a concrete or metal volute are manufactured and designed according to customers’ needs and requirements. These pumps can be used in application fields such as water transport
ANDRITZ HEARTbeat – Pumps Behind The Scenes
ANDRITZ pumps operate worldwide in various industries. Our portfolio covers water resources management
UPW system Siemens power plant