Water. desal + reuse: Top 20 stories for 2017
As an action-packed year draws to a close, we present the stories that caught the industry's collective interest in 2017.
1. Top five facts about the Suez-GE Water deal
Suez took the industry by surprise when it emerged as the buyer of GE Water & Process Technologies in March. The deal was broadly seen as a positive for both parties.
2. Saudi’s SWCC cancels EPC contract with Samsung Engineering
A major contract for a power and water plant in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia, was cancelled by Saline Water Conversion Corporation after changes to specifications led to a disagreement with EPC Samsung Engineering.
3. GE reports ‘significant interest’ in GE Water from potential buyers
GE's Q4 2016 earnings call in January gave a hint about the then ongoing sale process: "We've seen significant interest in the platforms and discussions are progressing," the company said.
4. Suez acquires GE Water for €3.2 billion
Suez's audacious bid for GE Water & Process Technologies in March set the industry abuzz as the French firm promised to create a new global industrial water business unit.
5. Feature: Do we have the technology for potable water reuse?
An indepth digital feature uncovered the challenges and success stories in potable reuse, from NDMA and log removal credits, to integrity testing, brine disposal, and public perceptions.
6. Feature: Where’s the innovation in brine treatment?
A deep dive into technologies for better brine management struck a chord, covering brine from unconventional oil and gas operations, and the latest thinking on resource recovery.
7. Water Reuse: Drivers, Innovations and Public Perceptions
Water. desalination + reuse conducted an industry survey in July to gauge perceptions about the factors that are influencing developments in water reuse markets globally. Join your industry compatriots in downloading this special report free of charge.
8. Abengoa to develop Shoaiba III, its largest desal project yet
In April, ACWA Power signed a consortium of Abengoa and Fisia Italimpianti to develop a large scale reverse osmosis desalination plant at Shoaiba III power and desalination complex on Saudi Arabia's Red Sea coast.
9. New water company Almar Water Solutions launched by former Abengoa CEO
The industry was intrigued to learn about the new venture from Abengoa's former chief executive Carlos Cosin. Almar Water Solutions set out its stall in sustainable development, and constructing and operating water desalination and purification plants.
10. Doosan Heavy Industries wins major desal EPC in Saudi Arabia
Doosan bagged a major contract in Saudi Arabia, to build a 400,000 m3/d seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO) plant in Shuaibah. It is expected to become Saudi Arabia’s largest SWRO plant, eclipsing Ras Al Khair.